Okada turns Anderson away at NJPW Power Struggle
New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s Bullet Club is on shaky ground after NJPW Power Struggle, where IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada overcame “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson in the main event.
Bullet Club, a group which includes New Zealand’s Bad Luck Fale, had pinned its hopes on Anderson after Okada retained his title against Prince Devitt at NJPW’s last major pay-per-view event.
Anderson and Okada’s rivalry can be traced back to 2012, when Okada bested “Machine Gun” to win the G1 Climax and begin his path to the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
The pair’s rivalry produced what Strong Style Spirit has called “another exciting main event” in Osaka, which went Okada’s way following a tombstone piledriver and a Rainmaker, despite Bullet Club interference.
Okada has now retained the IWGP Heavyweight Championship six times.
His next challenger will be NEVER Openweight Champion Tetsuya Naito, who will go one-on-one with Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 8 in the Tokyo Dome on January 4.
From one champ to another, Prince Devitt’s reign as the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion is in jeopardy with Kota Ibushi making clear his intentions to be the next titleholder.
Ibushi joined Togi Makabe for a tag team bout against Devitt and Bad Luck Fale at Power Struggle, and won the match for his team when he covered Devitt after a phoenix splash.
Devitt will now defend his title against Ibushi at Wrestle Kingdom 8 – perhaps his most dangerous challenger, even with Fale by his side.
NJPW Power Struggle Results:
- Alex Koslov, Rocky Romero, Yoshi-Hashi & Yujiro Takahashi def. Bushi, Captain New Japan, Kushida & Manabu Nakanishi
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:
Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson def. Taichi & TAKA Michinoku (c)
- Katsuyori Shibata def. Tomoaki Honma
- Kazushi Sakuraba & Yuji Nagata def. Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano
- NWA World Tag Team Championship:
Jax Drane & Rob Conway def. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer (c) and Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
- IWGP Tag Team Championship
Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) and Jax Drane & Rob Conway
- Kota Ibushi & Togi Makabe def. Bad Luck Fale & Prince Devitt
- Hiroshi Tanahashi def. Tomohiro Ishii
- NEVER Openweight Championship:
Tetsuya Naito (c) def. Masato Tanaka
- IWGP Intercontinental Championship:
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) def. Minoru Suzuki
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship:
Kazuchika Okada (c) def. “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson