NJPW: Okada wins 24th annual G1 Climax
Kazuchika Okada won the 24th annual G1 Climax on Sunday night, defeating Shinsuke Nakamura in a back-and-forth battle.
A rainstorm raging outside the Seibu Dome seemed to foreshadow a win for Okada, and proved accurate when Okada eventually hammered Nakamura with three Rainmaker lariats in quick succession to take the win.
Both men looked as though they were just seconds from victory at any point in what was the first singles match between the CHAOS stablemates.
Nakamura struck Okada down with two Boma Ye knee strikes just moments before the rush of Rainmakers, and threatened to submit Okada in an armbar after countering a Rainmaker earlier in the bout.
The G1 win is Okada’s second, with the Rainmaker having also taken out 2012’s G1 Climax.
Okada will now advance to the Tokyo Dome on January 4 for NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 where he will receive a match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, currently held by AJ Styles.
Styles came up short in his exhibition match against Hiroshi Tanahashi for third-place in the G1 Climax, but the result was overshadowed by the events that transpired after the match.
Tanahashi countered the Styles Clash with an inside cradle to catch Styles by surprise and win the match before Bad Luck Fale and the rest of Bullet Club flooded the ring for a gang attack on Tanahashi.
Global Force Wrestling (GFW) President Jeff Jarrett—who was at the Seibu Dome to sign a working agreement with NJPW—came to Tanahashi’s aid and chased Bullet Club from the ring with his guitar, or so it seemed.
In actual fact, Jarrett removed his guitar from its protective case to reveal a Bullet Club logo on the instrument before smashing it over Tanahashi’s head to announce himself as the newest Bullet Club member.
NJPW G1 Climax 24 Final Results:
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Ryusuke Taguchi, Satoshi Kojima & Tiger Mask def. Davey Boy Smith Jr, El Desperado, Lance Archer & TAKA Michinoku
- Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi) def. BUSHI, Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
- Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI def. Minoru Suzuki, Shelton “X” Benjamin & Takashi Iizuka via disqualification
- Adam Cole & Mike Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis def. Captain New Japan & Jushin “Thunder” Liger
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:
Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) (c) def. reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly)
- Tetsuya Naito def. Tomoaki Honma
- “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson w/ Yujiro Takahashi def. Tomohiro Ishii
- Katsuyori Shibata def. Hirooki Goto
- Hiroshi Tanahahsi def. AJ Styles w/ Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi
- G1 Climax 24 Final:
Kazuchika Okada def. Shinsuke Nakamura