Goto dethrones Nakamura at Wrestling Dontaku
Goto met Nakamura in the main event of NJPW Wrestling Dontaku, held Sunday night.
With Nakamura heading into his eighth month as IWGP Intercontinental Champion, it seemed unlikely Goto would be able to dethrone the King of Strong Style.
However, as the match progressed it became apparent Goto could not be stopped by Nakamura.
Goto kicked out of a Boma Ye knee strike from Nakamura, and slammed the champion to the mat with the Shouten Kai to win the IWGP Intercontinental Championship for a second time.
The IWGP Intercontinental Championship is held in higher regard than the first time Goto held the title in 2012—thanks to Nakamura’s efforts to have the belt considered equal to the IWGP Heavyweight Championship—but Goto still issued a challenge to whoever the IWGP Heavyweight Champion is after AJ Styles defends the belt against Kazuchika Okada at NJPW Dominion later this year.
“He wants to unify the titles,” Twitter user @enuhito_eng reported.
Also at Wrestling Dontaku, The Young Bucks won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships for a third time, pinning champs Baretta and Rocky Romero with their More Bang For Your Buck combination in a triple threat bout also featuring reDRagon.
Kenny Omega retained the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship against Alex Shelley with his signature One Winged Angel in a match filled with interference from Omega’s Bullet Club stablemates, The Young Bucks.
After his title defence, Omega announced he would not be part of the upcoming Best of the Super Juniors tournament, opting to rest up and await his next challenger.
NJPW Wrestling Dontaku Results:
- Jushin Liger, Mascara Dorada, Tiger Mask & Yuji Nagata def. Captain New Japan, KUSHIDA, Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi
- Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu def. Tetsuya Naito & Sho Tanaka
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma def. Bad Luck Fale, Cody Hall & Tama Tonga
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:
The Young Bucks def. Baretta & Rock Romero (c) and reDRagon
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship:
Kenny Omega (c) w/ The Young Bucks def. Alex Shelley
- Maria Kanellis, Matt Taven & Michael Bennett def. Amber Gallows, Doc Gallows & “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson
- Hiroshi Tanahahsi, Katsuyori Shibata & Togi Makabe def. Kazushi Sakuraba, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano
- AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi def. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
- IWGP Intercontinental Championship:
Hirooki Goto def. Shinsuke Nakamura (c)