Kushida pulls ahead in NJPW BOSJ tournament
The match hit high gear when Kushida first attempted his Hoverboard Lock. Fish broke the hold and went on the offensive, returning fire with a Falcon Arrow.
When Kushida kicked out of Fish’s cover, Fish hauled his opponent to the corner where he again nailed Kushida with a Falcon Arrow, this time from the top rope. Kushida kicked out for a second time and Fish transitioned to a heel hook.
Kushida scrambled toward the ropes to force a break from the devastating Fish Hook Deluxe Edition and pulled Fish face-first onto the middle rope, temporarily stunning him.
Kushida attempted a shiranui but Fish caught the Time Splitter on his shoulders and tried for a third Falcon Arrow. Kushida had the move scouted and used an armdrag to counter Fish, rolling through into the Hoverboard Lock.
Fish tried to make it to the ropes but Kushida rolled him back to the centre of the ring and increased the torque on Fish’s arm, ultimately forcing him to submit.
The win propels Kushida to the top of the scoreboard in Block B with eight points to his name and a record of 4-1.
Fish’s tag team partner, Kyle O’Reilly, fared no better in his Block A match against Ryusuke Taguchi.
Taguchi, a former IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion and Best of the Super Juniors winner, scored a submission win over the reDRagon member when he made O’Reilly tap out to an ankle hold.
Taguchi’s win ties him with O’Reilly as the current leaders in Block A. Both men have six points each as a result of their 3-1 records.
Three-time Best of the Super Juniors winner Jushin “Thunder” Liger also scored a win in his match, pinning Gedo and improving his Block A record to 2-2.
NJPW Best of the Super Juniors Results:
- David Finlay & Tomoaki Honma def. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu
- Barbaro Cavernario & Chase Owens def. Jay White & Tiger Mask
- Baretta, Kazuchika Okada & Rocky Romero def. Cody Hall, Nick Jackson & Yujiro Takahashi
- Kazushi Sakuraba, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Yoshi-Hashi def. Captain New Japan, Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Katsuyori Shibata & Togi Makabe
- Jushin “Thunder” Liger def. Gedo
- Ryusuke Taguchi def. Kyle O’Reilly
- Kushida def. Bobby Fish