NZPWI Home Page Our talented list of writers always have something interesting to say - read their Blogs now! All of the latest news and results from the New Zealand professional wrestling scene Get the latest Television results - in New Zealand time! Get the latest PPV previews and results! NZPWI has interviewed some of the greats - listen now! Get the latest information on pro-wrestling Tours to New Zealand! Read our comprehensive range of Reviews! Get the latest news and rumours on our Newsboard! Interact with other New Zealand pro-wrestling fans! The NZPWI Store - NZ's online home of WWE DVDs! Click here to check out NZPWI's Youtube Channel! Click here for NZPWI's RSS Feed! Follow NZPWI on Facebook! Follow NZPWI on Twitter!
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 69  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 am 
NZPWI Staff
NZPWI Staff

Quote:
I think enough of it technically was a dream, or a big make believe situation. And that's pretty disappointing. The alternate universe being that? All the side stories meaning nothing due to it not being 'real'? The conclusion that faith beats science? I daresay a lot of people watched the show for the mystery and not just the characters - they wanted to know what was going on. Well, any random person could have written that ending. It's not just out of left field, it's just....lame. I'm pretty certain they made most of this up as they went along, as that's generally when you see a mystery play out in a fruity magical way that nobody could have guessed because it's all part of an internal logic that only the writers could ever know - you just have a lot of weird stuff for the sake of it being weird & none of it has to get explained because you just get to say it was magic.
If I'd been a proper Lost fan I'm pretty sure I would have been just saddened by it all. I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the hours wasted on the show. I'm glad I only ever casually watched it. The show should have been finished after three seasons max. Americans should learn not to run everything into the ground.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 am 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really glad that I stopped following it, because I think the final would have caused me great rage. I think the show would have been better of ending after the first season like it was originally intended. If they gave that ending after the first season it would have been ok, but it seems like it was dragged out way too long, and now that ending seems like a massive cop out.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:57 am 

Quote:
Whereas I didn't care much for the whole "this is a place you all created to find each other" crap to explain the Flash-Diagonal world, I felt that the conclusion of the "reality" bit on the island was satisfactory. It wasn't just someone's dream, they weren't all already dead, there were no aliens and we get to speculate about what happened to the survivors on the plane as well as the on-island survivors (Hurley, Ben, Rose, Bernard, etc).

I'm predicting an animated spin-off about the comical adventures of Hurley and Ben as the odd couple guardians of the Island

Hedgehogs: Why can't they just share the hedge?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:13 am 

Spoilerage wrote:
I guess Ben was right back in Season 5... Dead is Dead. Shoulda made that connection earlier. Oh well. As far as the finale goes, not over the moon about it, but it sufficed. I expected that they weren't going to tie up the many loose ends of the show, and the 'and everyones dead' ending is a little cheap, but it sufficed.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:45 am 

Sounds ok, but I'm definitely glad I didn't dedicate years of my life to it. Will probably skip the DVDs at this point.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm 

Quote:
Why the fuck was the island underwater in the flash-sideways/diagonal world? If that "reality" was a place that the Losties created to find each other when they died then why would they add that detail?

I'm sensing a lot of "we didn't actually know what they fuck we were doing half the time" from the writers...

I would have preferred that the show only went 5 seasons and they never bothered with the dumb flash-sideways/diagonal "reality" at all. They could have nicely wrapped up the show with only the real world stuff. Jack makes his great sacrifice, Hurley and Ben take care of the island, the survivors on the plane escape, and the people who died are dead. Of course then we wouldn't have gotten the schmaltzy feel-good reunion stuff and God knows American audiences are too delicate and dimwitted to handle anything but a happy ending...

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 pm 

Quote:
So the alt-reality is actually the after life and doesn't take place in any particular time, it's just after everything. Still heaps of un-answered questions, It's like they forgot about the previous 5 seasons. Was that Ajira plane wreckage at the end credits?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:04 pm 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Quote:
Yeah that alt-reality or flash sideways, was a place created so that when they die they could all meet up again, before going into the "afterlife" such as heaven etc. It was more like a sort of purgatory.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 pm 

Quote:
Why did they all want to meet up before they went a flyin' off to heaven anyway? Surely if they wanted to meet up with anyone when they died, it'd be like, their family and friends, not the people who shared a nightmare horror island adventure with them.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Quote:
Yeah, their lifes were really shit though, and didn't have anyone that cared about them, hence bringing them to the island as candidates. I think I remember Christian saying that the time on the island was their most important time in their lifes. Hence why they all wanted to meet up again. Kinda irrelevant and waste of time during the season, but did give those touching moments which were nice to watch. Sayid and Shannon, Sawyer and Juliet, Claire and Charlie were all pretty cool reunions.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Just finished watching it myself, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know, maybe I'm one of those dimwitted and delicate people who like happy endings. :D

I did find the fact Ben didn't want to go into the church interesting, he said he still had some things to sort out, so maybe he was worried about ending up going to Hell, compared to the others who were all going to heaven, having redeemed themselves in some way on the island. I did like the exchange where Hurley said Ben was a good number two, and Ben replied Hurley was a good number one. Guess their time together looking after the island went well then.

As for hte island being sunk in the flash-purgatory (as it will now be called) I guess it was there as a red herring for the audience, to not allow us to realise it was not real.

I like the little nod to the hardcore fans with Vincent at the end, as the producers did state that Vincent was the only character they would guarantee would not be killed.

I guess ass Syxseed said, it's going to depend what you watched the show for.If it was all about the mystery, then you might be quite disappointed with the finale. If it was all about the characters, then you may be a lot happier, because there were a lot of touching character moments (had me close to tears a few times, but then I am a big pussy)

Pi, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, and this is just the beginning; it keeps on going, forever, without ever repeating. Which means that contained within this string of decimals, is every single other number. Your birthdate, combination to your locker, your social security number, it's all in there, somewhere. And if you convert these decimals into letters, you would have every word that ever existed in every possible combination.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm 

Well...

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of supposed "red herrings" and I think a bunch of them were actually aborted story arcs. Nevermind though, the writers are covered by the "we're not gonna explain all the mysteries" clause. I don't mind that heaps of stuff remains unexplained as trying to answer every question would have made for a really crap finale. I just don't like the stuff that seems to go against the internal logic of explanations we have been given

Also this...

Quote:

Ha ha! Made you look!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Spoilers wrote:
Wow really hard to explain my feelings about the finale. What I will say is, it was fully worth watching this series in its entirely, it really has been a blast. I like the idea that after their passing, the characters remained in what I describe as 'the show's idea of purgatory.' Obviously though, a lot of answers have been left unresolved and I found that a bit irritating. What really confused me was why all the dead characters had no memory of what happened to start with, until making a connection with those that were closest to them on the island and even then they didn't recognize these people right away. However, to give credit to the writers, it made for some very emotional scenes when they had these realizations and flashbacks. I liked that Hurley eventually became the guardian of the island, it was very noticeable that he had become one of the main characters and I enjoyed him a lot. Was very surprised Miles survived throughout. I must say another thing that irks me is not knowing what happened after the characters left the island on the plane, such as did Kate and Sawyer stay together? What happened with Claire and Aaron etc. We know how Jack died, but we don't know what happened to any of them! We don't know what happened with Desmond or Hurley or Ben either! Ben was random at the end, not wanting to go in the church. Was great to see Shannon and Boone! Overall I'm not entirely pleased with the way things ended, but I am satisfied, it was certainly very emotional and not so ridiculous that it makes the entire series irrelevant. I don't think I'll ever see such a thought provoking series ever again, Lost was one of a kind and I'm very glad I jumped on board for the ride.

#1 peep in the TAB thread wrote:
Free $10 credit if you put at least 20 in your account this weekend guys :)

PrimeTimePlaya wrote:
They must be taking a loss because Mel C's on holiday so they're trying to get people to top up.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 pm 
NZPWI Staff
NZPWI Staff

Out of curiousity, what did you find thought provoking about Lost?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm 

So let me see if I get this straight... I know it's hard to summarise, but correct me where I'm wrong (bearing in mind I watched fuck all of the later series...)

James_C wrote:

* The island is the source of a perpetual battle between good and evil
* The only way evil can kill good is by roping in other people to do it, exploiting a loophole
* Evil lures people to the island (?) in an ongoing attempt to fulfil this
* The Dharma Initiative are investigating the mystical nature of the island and the conflict
* Jack is appointed as the "stand-in" for good to kill evil, and he does
* The sideways realm is to prepare the characters that do die for death, and is all fake
* Everything that happened on the island was real?

Out of interest, how were the numbers tied into this? I've read all about the Valenzetti Equation and what it means, but how does it tie into the story? Just because the dude who created it was on the plane? Or is it a total aside?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:32 pm 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Syx Seed wrote:
Out of curiousity, what did you find thought provoking about Lost?

Really?

Really?

Almost everything. You wonder why all these people were called to the island. You wonder why there are polar bears. You wonder why there is a hatch. You wonder why the island has a protector. You wonder what he is protecting. You wonder if the characters will ever get off the island. You wonder what they'll do after they leave. You wonder why the time change starts happening. Almost everything on the show was thought provoking, almost everything in life is thought provoking. You would pretty much have to be brain dead or not paying anywhere near enough to attention to not find it thought provoking.

PrimeTimePlaya wrote:
They must be taking a loss because Mel C's on holiday so they're trying to get people to top up.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:25 pm 

That's what I was thinking.. It's like he's watched one episode.

Post subject: NP: Sigur Ros - Mistur
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 pm 

Lost should've wrapped up after two seasons. Good old American TV and flogging a dead horse.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 pm 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Nothing was dead about it. It produced some very good seasons. I quite liked Seasons 4 and 5.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 pm 

If you were really a Lost fan, we shouldn't need spoiler tags by now, but just in case... wrote:
* The island is the source of a perpetual battle between good and evil <--- Sort of... That would be mainly focused on the brothers Jacob (Good) and Man in Black (Bad). It's probably more about the island containing 'the source' or the 'light', and corrupt men wanting to use this power for their own dastardly desires. I guess that's 'good and evil' in a way

* The only way evil can kill good is by roping in other people to do it, exploiting a loophole <--- Again, focused on the brothers. The 'mother' of the two made it so they could never hurt each other. Loophole was influencing someone to do it for them

* Evil lures people to the island (?) in an ongoing attempt to fulfil this <--- Jacob felt that his title 'protector' of the island was coming to an end (may have been prophesying his death) so needed to pass the title onto someone. He chose those who have nothing or no one holding them to their own lives

* The Dharma Initiative are investigating the mystical nature of the island and the conflict <--- Yep

* Jack is appointed as the "stand-in" for good to kill evil, and he does <--- Jack finds after leaving the island that he has no purpose. He eventually finds his purpose in being involved with killing MIB

* The sideways realm is to prepare the characters that do die for death, and is all fake <--- Yep. Universe created so everyone can meet each other once again before 'moving on'

* Everything that happened on the island was real? <--- Yes

Out of interest, how were the numbers tied into this? I've read all about the Valenzetti Equation and what it means, but how does it tie into the story? Just because the dude who created it was on the plane? Or is it a total aside? <--- Total aside. They might as well of used 1,2,3,4,5,6 as the numbers. Pattern wasn't relevant, the numbers themselved seemed to be. Could be wrong...

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:52 pm 

Kylesta wrote:
Nothing was dead about it. It produced some very good seasons. I quite liked Seasons 4 and 5.

I wouldn't say it was dead, but I generally question whether episodic television was the best method for telling the story. I wonder the same about annual release serial films like Star Wars, Twilight and Harry Potter. The issue is there isn't a more appropriate medium at the moment. I do think in theory, long-run content like this is better served on a digital platform after the second series or so, possibly by splitting the episodes across various sponsor sites. But that's a fair way off.

Thanks for the heads up too, Nova - much appreciated getting some "crib notes" for how everything turned out.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 am 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

All you need to do is look at Losts ratings if you wonder whether it should have continued, they speak for peoples enjoyment of the series. It drew 15 million viewers for the final.

PrimeTimePlaya wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 am 

Nah, I find that not true. They cancelled Arrested Development after 3 seasons and that show is infinitely more quality. I remember the first season of Desperate Housewives drew stupidly huge ratings in NZ and that show is utter trash.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:58 am 
NZPWI Forum Life Member
NZPWI Forum Life Member

Location: Military School with the Goddamn Finkelstein shit kid..
#1 peep wrote:
It drew 15 million viewers for the final.

Is that all??

I thought with all the kerfuffle on this site about it that it was some huge event...obviously I was wrong!!

A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:09 am 

I can talk Survivor winner here?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 69  Next